|White Potage Curry Udon|
|Anime | Manga|
|Primary Ingredients||Udon Noodles|
|Menu Category||Main Course|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 55|
|Anime Debut||Episode 23|
A curry using rich roux with the consistency of a vichyssoise, this curry is like a tranquil pond that can completely immerse people into its shallows.
Makes two bowls:
Udon style noodles
- 1/4 packet medium egg noodles
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame oil
- tamari soya sauce
Cook the noodles in water until soft (if using dried noodles), then place aside in a bowl. Mix the spices, stock cube, oil and tamari sauce with half a pint of water. Pour over the noodles and leave to marinate.
- 100g butter
- 100g flour
- 2 large potatoes (or substitute sweet potatoes for a golden potage)
- 2 tbsp fresh double cream
- 1/2 pint vegetable stock (or 1/2 pint water and a stock cube)
- 1 onion
- 1 large leek
- 1 tbsp white wine / rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame oil (if using rice wine vinegar)
- 2 eggs
- light hard cheese (i.e. white stilton)
- 1 large potato (or substitute sweet potatoes)
Peel and slice the potatoes leeks and onions, put 1 potato in a pan of water and boil until tender.
Melt the butter into a new pan, then slowly add the flour to make a creamy roux. Add the onions and leeks, then cook around 15 minutes until soft. Add the rice wine vinegar and oil (or instead, add a splash of white wine). Add the stock (make with water and stock cube if needed) and season. Add the other two potatoes. Simmer the entire pot until tender.
Add some water to a pot and boil.
Remove the remaining potato from the stove, drain the water and mash with butter.
Liquidise the soup mixture and strain through a sieve. Enrich the resulting soup with the cream.
Put the noodles into 2 bowls, then add the finalised vichyssoise roux on top.
Crack two eggs into the now boiling water (from the noodles) on the stove and cook until softly poached.
Grate the cheese over the roux, and add the mash to one side of the bowl (on top of the roux).
Get the poached eggs (try not to overdo the poached eggs >.>) and place one in each bowl, on top of the roux.
Voila. Try not to eat both bowls.
- This is the first dish ever to be displayed by Zenji.