Shokugeki (食戟 Shokugeki lit, Food Halberd) is a cooking duel in Tōtsuki Culinary Academy. It is a longstanding tradition that allows students to settle debates and arguments through a formal duel of their cooking prowess.
A Shokugeki can be initiated by anyone within the school. In most cases, these have been started either to further a person's personal project in Tōtsuki or to overturn a judgement by the school such as an expulsion or a disbanding of a club. Shokugekis are battled between two parties. The number of people participating in each party does not have to be equal, so one side can be challenging solo while the other has a partner. Each side must lay out their "compensation", or something they must give up if they were to lose the challenge. Both sides must agree that the compensation of the duel equate with each other, For example, if any student were to challenge an Elite Ten Council member for their chair and lose, expulsion would not equate to the value of an Elite Ten seat.
After a Shokugeki has been authorized, the challengers will set up a date to carry out the Shokugeki and its theme. Any time between the issue and the actual challenge may be used to prepare for it. On the day of the challenge, both contestants will cook at the same time in a fixed amount of time. After both sides have finished their dish, they will present their Shokugeki dish to the judges. After eating both contestant's dishes, they will vote on which dish was the best overall. The winner will have all conditions of their victory fulfilled and the result cannot be revoked unless there is a special circumstance.
Though a Shokugeki can be initiated by anyone in the school, there are three main conditions to issue a Shokugeki:
- An authorized individual to validate the Shokugeki. This means that a member of Tōtsuki's staff, a Tōtsuki alumni, or an Elite Ten Council member must validate the challenge for it to be an official Shokugeki.
- An odd number of judges. This is ensure that a Shokugeki will end with a clear victor and prevent a tie situation.
- Both sides must mutually agree to have the Shokugeki and the conditions of the Shokugeki. If one side is unwilling to participate, the challenge is not feasable as show that Satoshi Isshiki refused to validate Sōma Yukihira's challenge because he did not want Sōma to leave Tōtsuki if he lost.
There are several winning factors for the dish, but the three core traits in a dish are aroma, taste, and presentation. Judges can be swayed by high quality ingredients as they often produce predictably good results. However, as demonstrated in the Don R's vs Mito Shokugeki, even though Ikumi had a superior ingredient for her don dish, she lost out the the overall edibility and passive effects of Soma's don dish. After tasting both dishes, the judges will choose who had the superior dish
Aftermath of a ShokugekiEdit
Immediately after a Shokugeki, the winner's victory conditions will be immediately carried out. It is not known if a Shokugeki result can be immediately repealed with another Shokugeki, but it is heavily implied that this cannot happen. However, as shown by Sōma, a Shokugeki can be issued to repeal a result of a Shokugeki assuming that the challenger was not involved in the initial Shokugeki.
There are different types of Shokugeki
- Official Shokugeki-The official Shokugeki is the type of Shokugeki is traditionally held by the school authority to perform the Shokugeki, only within the area of the Tootsuki Culinary Academy. This Shokugeki is only considered as official if the school authority permits and the agreement between both battle chef about the stipulation and risk. This is also a prime Shokugeki in this very academy and most of the audiences are the students of this academy, with the judges are mostly from the guest.
- Unofficial Shokugeki-The unofficial Shokugeki is another type of Shokugeki which is out limits to from the Tōtsuki Culinary Academy and had to held by other officials instead of the the school authority. The permission for this type of Shokugeki would be depending on the figures who is out from the Tōtsuki Culinary Academy, yet it is considered as an underground duel, in which this Shokugeki can be started without the permission from the authorities of the academy and it is often hidden from the crowd. Whoever caught by the authority of the academy, the judges and even the authority that allowed this Shokugeki won't be responsible upon the charges.
Depending on the condition by both chef, the style is considered free by both chef to cook any dish as long ti is related to the subject. Each style can be used by each chef to create the dish based on the theme of the food is given in. The chef can create the dish in any style and forms depending on the chef's personal experiences and creativity upon cooking.
Soma Entry to the ShokugekiEdit
The Shokugeki would only held by Erina to secure her regime until Soma entered the academy. Since Soma's infamous ambitious speech had spreed through the entire academy, almost everyone is dissed and scorned over Soma's ambition as a arrogant fool's loud brag which who didn't know his place. In the end however, some of them reluctantly accept him as a potential talent after Soma made the iron-heart lecturer, Roland Chapelle smile in an unexpected fashion through his innovated dish. In Soma's welcome party, Elite Council Member and the Polar Star Hostel veteran student, Isshiki Satoshi is attempt to see Soma's skill by challenging the Yukihira Genius to a duel to earn his respect. Intrigued over Soma's simple yet innovative dish which make the delicacy delicious, Satoshi would forge his friendship with Soma while he heard over Soma's challenge over his seat in the Elite 10 Council, prompting the veteran that Soma's ambition would be Soma's great responsibility before he witnessed Soma's serious side to challenge him on the next day; thinking that the Yukihira Genius's dream would revive the Shokugeki excitement while anticipate Soma's journey to polish his cookery skills.
Soma's first Shokugeki would be against Mito Ikumi
Yukihira-Shinomiya Shokugeki FeudEdit
Begin as a misunderstanding between Soma and the Academy Alumni, Shinomiya, this Shokugeki would be written down into the academy history book after the Soma voiced his disagreement and challenged Shinomiya into a suicidal yet brave Shokugeki duel; igniting the infamous Yukihira-Shinomiya Shokugeki Feud .
Legends and ChampionEdit
Main Article:List of the ''Shokugeki'' participants
Throughout time, each generations has their own champions in various competition in every Shokugeki in the academy. However, it is due to the severe consequences of every stipulation made by both sides, only the brave and bold talents prevailed in many Shokugeki matches. As the majority of these champions are either from the gifted and privileged students, prospects and geniuses or experienced veterans within the academy, Sōma is the first and the only street-restaurant background transfer student join the ranks of the champions since his first victory against another fellow Shokugeki champion, Ikumi.
Past Shokugeki Recipes & DishesEdit
Main Article: List of Shokugeki Recipes
Through generations and time, each of the food presented for the are various depending on the theme of each dishes of both rivals has made. Each of the themed dishes would become legends and some of them even becomes the prized icon to the research club after the victory.
Notable Shokugeki DishesEdit
- Chaliapin Steak Don-Simple yet innovative, this Donburi is represent Soma's innovative achievements and the pride of the Don R's after Soma defeated Ikumi, the Meat Expert under Erina's faction in his first yet intense Shokugeki.
- A5 Japanese Beef Roti Don-Ikumi's regal dish with A5 meat based donburi to defeat and embarrass Sōma in his first Shokugeki. Despite beautifully made dish, the incorrect combination of the meat and garlic rice and the out of theme dish that cause Ikumi's defeat.
|Food Theme||Chef battle & Stipulation||Judges||Dish||Winner||Results|
Nao cannot be within 50 meters of Erina at all times.
Hisako must relinquish her job as Erina's secretary to Nao.
Medicine based dish
|Hisako Arato||Hisako retains her position as Erina's Secretary while Nao cannot be within 50 meters of Erina|
|Erina Nakiri ]|
Chan R's will remain active and preserved.
Erina must give up her seat in the Elite Ten Council
Chan R's will be disbanded and its clubroom will be demolished
Ravioli Di Aragosta
|Erina Nakiri||Chan R's is immediately destroyed and the club is disbanded.|
Don R's will still be demolished and Sōma will be expelled from Tōtsuki.
Erina will cease the demolition of the Don R's club and Ikumi will join the Don R's Club.
Yukihira style Chalyapin Steak Don
A5 Japanese Beef Roti Don
|Sōma Yukihira||Don R's demolition is canceled and Ikumi joins the Don R's club.|
|Food Theme||Chef battle & Stipulation||Judges||Dish||Winner||Results|
Megumi Tadokoro vs.
|Soma & Megumi|
Both Soma and Megumi will leave the training camp and be expelled from Tōtsuki Culinary Academy.
Megumi's expulsion from the camp will be revolked and Shinomiya will be held responsible for the intentional sabotage of ingredients.
|**The Tootsuki Alumni Ten|
| Soma and Megumi|
|***Draw.||Shinomiya reverses his judgement of Megumi, allowing her and Sōma to stay in the camp. Shinomiya however was not held responsible for his ingredient sabotage.|
(*)Megumi was forced to be the main chef instead of Soma, even though the Shokugeki was started by Sōma.
(**)Inui was not allowed to be a judge due to her blatant favoritism for Megumi.
(***)Shinomiya originally won this Shokugeki until Doujima decided to vote for Soma and Megumi. Shinomiya was given a coin, which he dropped into Megumi's plate after eating her dish. Inui added one last vote, resulting in a tie. This however caused the Shokugeki to become unofficial.