|Anime | Manga|
|Dish Type||Revamped and Improvised dish|
|Menu Category||Main Course|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 5|
|Anime Debut||Episode 3|
It is a basic French dish that was set by Roland Chapelle as the first test for his first-year class. Famed as a national treasury dish in France, the Beef Bourguignon originated from the peasantry.
- Bouquet Garni
How to Cook Edit
- Tenderize the beef by kneading it with honey.
- Cook both sides of the beef on a pan.
- Chop onions and carrots, then fry them in a pan.
- Chop and saute mushrooms in butter.
- Add the beef and vegetables to the pot and then simmer at low flame. Heat till cooked and tender.
- Place all on a plate and serve with sauce.
Beef Bourguignon is one of many examples of peasant dishes being slowly refined into haute cuisine. Most likely, the particular method of slowly simmering the beef in wine originated as a means of tenderizing cuts of meat that would have been too tough to cook any other way.
Over time, the dish became a standard of French cuisine. The recipe most people still follow to make an authentic beef bourguignon was first described by Auguste Escoffier. That recipe, however, has undergone subtle changes, owing to changes in cooking equipment and available food supplies. Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking describes the dish, sauté de boeuf à la Bourguignonne, as "certainly one of the most delicious beef dishes concocted by man".
- The correct pronunciation of this dish is Berf Boor-gui-nyawn.